Friday, May 21, 2010

Update on Bitter for Uncle Billy’s Keep Austin Beered Pro-Am Homebrew Contest

I finished up my second batch of British bitter last night. I made a second batch because after the first one because I thought I could make some improvements.

I am experimenting with new things with each batch. The batch last night I used irish moss, which helps clarify the beer. I also transferred the previous batch to a secondary fermenter and added some gelatin (which is also intended to help clarify it), and it seems to be working perfectly. The first batch is basically done, and it's one of the lowest alcohol beers I've ever made, weighing in at 3.9% ABV. Bitters are traditionally drawn from casks stored in the cellar of a pub and drawn by a type of pump called a beer engine, instead of being pushed out by being under pressure of CO2 like american beers. This results in very low carbonation, and they are often served at 50F which really brings out the flavor of the beer.

http://www.beertownaustin.com/blog/2010-uncle-billys-keep-austin-beered-pro-am-homebrew-contest/

No comments:

Post a Comment